Thursday, November 12, 2009

Muckrakers

Investigative reporters are journalists who thoroughly research, investigate, interpret and communicate news and public affairs through various news media. They uncover secrets people would rather keep quiet and dig deep into cases that may involve controversial issues. Investigative reporters, also known as muckrakers, investigate leads and news tips, read documents, observe events taking place at a scene, and interview people.

Investigative reporters must be naturally curious and have a nose for news. When it comes to interviewing people, they should
know what types of questions to ask and be interested and respectful about the answers. Investigative journalism requires great people and written communication skills. Reporters must be accurate in their fact checking. They must be scrutinizers who can pay close attention to details. They must also be open-minded--able to understand and see a story from all points of view in order to cover it properly. Overall, investigative reporters must have extensive stamina in order to cope with the pressures of the industry.

I am currently taking a news writing and reporting class. From it, I have learned how to conduct interviews that flow as smoothly as regular conversations. In order to be a good investigative reporter, I would have to constantly work on improving my writing skills. I would have to be very careful and remember to stay alert so that the news in incidents does not slip me. I would have to learn to scrutinize events so that I report the news as accurately as possible without omitting crucial, vital details.

http://www.schoolsintheusa.com/careerprofiles_details.cfm?CarID=798

No comments:

Post a Comment